|Consultation:||Young Greens AGM 2019|
|Agenda item:||E Nominations|
|Proposer:||Matthew Hull & Rowan Van Tromp (Camden Green Party)|
E8: Matthew Hull & Rowan Van Tromp
- Which role are you applying for?:
I'm really excited to be standing for election as the Young Greens' next Treasurer on Executive Committee. Since my co-option as Treasurer in February, I've been really proud to work alongside some fantastic campaigners and contribute to a successful Green 2019. I would dearly love the chance to build on the success we've had, develop the Young Greens' role and impact as a campaigning party, and increase support to local and regional groups.
I have substantial experience of budgeting and financial processes. In previous roles I have set and managed project budgets for a garden play production at around £1000, and an overseas music tour at around £7000. This year as Young Greens Treasurer, I re-evaluated the Young Greens' budget inherited in February to take account of real spend and receipts in the preceding months, producing an ambitious but balanced budget. I have regularised the Treasurer's working relationship with the Green Party finance team to streamline administrative work. I am especially proud of our election crowdfunders, which substantially outraised the projected total, and in our successes in increasing regular monthly donations. Most of all, I am proud of efforts to make Young Greens' events accessible through Access Funds, and wish to expand these as far as practicable.
I think it is important for all members of Executive Committee to be flexible and assist other members at times of high stress; during the European Election campaign, I took on responsibilities outside my role to help coordinate Young Greens' action days in Yorkshire and Humber. This principle is hugely important to the functioning of a committee and I will promote it as much as I can.
Over the next term, I believe that the Young Greens can become steadily more ambitious. As Treasurer, I want to supervise the use of increased financial capacity and staffing to:
- Re-emphasise our national campaigns, working with the committee to establish campaign leads, and allocate them serious funding
- Build on the Green Wave and the onboarding work done by the last Executive Committee, to further train and empower new local and regional officers
- Ramp up the Active Greens Fund, a grant funding scheme, from which local and regional groups can seek funding for their campaigns and actions; conduct a thorough advertising campaign for the fund and assist groups make strong applications
- Build on the work of the last Executive Committee to keep the Young Greens' reputation as a powerful campaigning group at elections, including by making actions as accessible as possible through use of Access Funds
I want to increase and regularise our income by:
- Further integrating our fundraising 'asks' within our communications, emphasising the importance of regular monthly income to financial planning, and being prepared to fundraise in quick response to major political events
- Conducting a phone and email campaign to solicit regular monthly donations, emphasising the importance of funding to our campaigns, training, and accessibility work
- Running bold and appealing crowdfunders linked to our national campaigns
- Sophisticating the way we receive donations by reviewing and revamping current channels, such as those on the Young Greens website
Rowan is an ACCA qualified accountant who specialises in small business technology. He co-founded the food redistribution organisation Norwich FoodHub C.I.C and has previously been involved in Norwich Green Party.
He will bring a strong understanding of financial process to the team, alongside an analytical mind and problem solving skills.
He has a keen interest in technology, economics and tax, and will bring knowledge of these areas to discussions on policy priorities.
- Video :
- Facebook :
- Twitter :
- Instagram :
- Website :
- Other links :
- Local Party:
- Camden Green Party
- Supporter 1 Name:
- Dan Kedem
- Supporter 1 Local Party/Affiliated Group:
- Islington Green Party
- Supporter 2 Name:
- Blake Roberts
- Supporter 2 Local Party/Affiliated Group:
- Colchester Green Party